May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Emily's (1st) 3rd Birthday Party

Today we had a family party for Emily's 3rd birthday. The party was originally to be at Aunt Lisa's house and we were to celebrate both Emily's and her cousin Jeremy's birthdays, however Aunt Lisa became very ill Friday night and ended up having short stay in the hospital for stomach pain. I am very happy to report Aunt Lisa is much better and resting at home. We wanted to go ahead with Emily's party (with Aunt Lisa's blessing) because she has attended many, many family birthdays and always asked "is it my birthday too" and sadly we always had to say no not this time. She always was a good sport about it. So now the time has come when it is her day and we just did not have the heart to disappoint her. Gary and I scrambled to get the house ready for 12 people for a party and we managed to pull it off and get most of our Christmas shopping done too!! My wonderful husband was such a huge help, Thank You Gary!! All evening on Saturday as we prepared Emily would say "thank you for my party mom and dad", this just made my heart melt and it was all worth it! Emily loved her party, well most of it...Emily will no time soon want to blow out any candles. The party ended on a somewhat sad/scary note. As Emily blew out her candles she bent over the cake and yes you guessed it her hair caught fire. In this picture you can see the glow of the flame starting to catch her hair.



I don't have to say it but I will, this by far was the most terrifying moment of my life. It all happen so quickly, all I could think was get water on her. I grabbed her, pulled her close to me to smother the flame, ran for the sink and got water on her hair quickly. This was all a matter of seconds. All I could do was scream and then cry and when I saw she was alright cry some more. Gary was filming and has some of it on camera and it is very disturbing to hear it played back. I have not figured out how to up load video yet and I probably will not post this video when I do figure it out. Gary and I agree we should just get rid of that disc. Emily fell asleep in my arms and I held her for two hours after that. Both Gary and I have thanked God a thousand times over for his grace in that this could have turned out horribly different. Emily has one little red mark on her cheek and her hair is a bit uneven on one side, that is easy to fix and the little red mark will probably be gone by morning. Other than that the day was a huge success. Emily had a wonder family party.

Thank you everyone for coming today we love you all!!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Laurel called and told me last night. I am so thankful that she is okay! Praise God for keeping her safe!

The Schmit Clan said...

Every girl does it at least once in her life! Mine happened to my bangs!Glad she is alright....If I were to have it happen now, it would be an inferno with all of the hair spray:)!

Stefanie Schocke said...

Oh my goodness, I'm glad she is okay.

Emily is so cute, Cameron too!